Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Noisy Power Steering Pump

2002 Kia Optima
2.7 L V6, Automatic Transmission
172,000 miles
 ----------------------------
While checking the automatic transmission fluid level this morning, I noticed a noise coming from the passenger side of the engine near the serpentine belt.  I was able to isolate it audibly to be coming from the power steering pump which is the top pulley on the 2002 Kia Optima with V6.



After some visual inspection, I noticed a fluid leaking or present on a hose which connected to the PS pump.  I then checked the fluid reservoir and found it to be very low.  Obviously there is a PS fluid leak on this car.  This left me with two questions;

1. Is the leak coming from the PS pump or the pressure hose which connects to the pump?

2. If I top off the fluid in the PS fluid reservoir, will this make the grinding sound go away.

The first order of business was to top of the PS fluid.  I went to a local AutoZone and got a clear PS fluid (Manual recommends PSF-3 or III, but it is not available).  Shop recommends a clear alternative fluid.

I topped of the reservoir and drove home.  I could still hear the rattling sound coming from the PS pump on the drive home.  I let the car sit at idle and popped the hood to verify.  I decided to move onto other business and to come back to check later.

After the car sat for a couple of hours, I cranked it again to listen for the sound.  It appears to be gone.  While the car was running, I turned the steering wheels all the way left and all the way right a couple of times to get the fluid pumping.  The sound did not return.

I was, however, able to identify a certain source of the leak.  It was coming at the proximal end of the PS pressure hose near the pump itself.  So, likely I will just need to replace the pressure hose.


Armed with this information (visible, dripping leak on high pressure hose and grinding sound is gone after topping off PS fluid reservoir), I am now confident enough to order a power steering high pressure hose for this car.  I am fairly confident that the pump itself remains in good shape.  I will watch this car for a couple of days before committing to this, just to be sure.

Below is a stock photo of the high pressure hose which I will need to replace.

A post above explains in detail the process I used to replace the Pressure Hose (top), Return Hose (bottom) and the Power Steering Pump. 




No comments:

Post a Comment