Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Kia Optima, Engine Tapping Sound

Recently, I did work on the power steering system of my 2002 Kia Optima.  Because I work many hours, it took me a few weeks to complete.  During this time, the car was cranked only briefly a few times.  Most of the time, it sat in my garage without being cranked.

When I finally cranked the car, there was a loud tapping sound coming from the top of the engine.  Since I had not done any recent work on the engine itself, I realized that this probably had to do with the car sitting still for so many days.

Someone suggested to me that I do an oil change with a new filter because the filter could be disallowing the proper oil pressure.  So I changed the oil and filter.  I then cranked the car and the tapping sound was still there.

Another person suggested that the valves were not being "pumped up" adequately.  He suggested that if I allow the car to idle for about 20 minutes, the valve might pump up and the noise would cease.  So, I allowed the car to idle for about 25 minutes.  When I returned to check on the car, the noise was almost gone.  I turned the car off and let it sit for about 10 minutes.  I then cranked the car and I did not hear the noise.

I drove the car a few miles yesterday and today and the tapping sound seems to be gone.  So, if this happens to you, before you freak out, do what I did and...

  1. Do an oil change with a new filter
  2. Allow your car to idle for 20 minutes at a time
  3. Make a note if the noise increases or decreases
I did not get around to it, but if this were to happen again, I would probably add some "Sea Foam" lubricant to the crank case for good measure.

I hope I have helped you.

2 comments:

  1. This is an update. It has been over 3 months since the tapping problem began and then went away after letting the car idle. The tapping has not returned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a 08 Amanti with the 3.8 engine which does the same thing. On this engine anyway it's because the oil filter is mounted on TOP of the engine and has an inadequate drain back valve. This results in oil in the filter draining back into the oil pan overnight. When it's started it has to re-prime the oil filter before the rest of the motor gets full oil pressure!!
    This is NOT a well designed system but there's not much you can do about it. I used a bottle of Lucas oil treatment which has helped reduce the noise.
    You should try removing the oil filter BEFORE starting one time and see how much oil is in it. if it's not full try changing brands of filter to see if it helps.
    Bruce Hevner
    ASE Certified master engine machinist

    ReplyDelete